University Names New Associate Provost for Career Development
The University has named Jeffery L. Jackson, as its new associate provost for career development. Jackson will begin his work at SLU on Monday, July 1.
Jackson will lead a reorganization of SLU’s career services programs and is tasked with achieving the following strategic goals:
- Improve career planning, preparation, and employment.
- Better coordinate and enhance internships and other career-oriented experiential learning programs.
- Grow and enhance university relations with community organizations and industry.
- Bring greater campus and community visibility to the value of SLU’s distinctive academic programs.
- Help to better ensure the success of our students and alumni.
Jackson brings years of experience to the new role. Since 2013, he has served as assistant vice president for Student Career Success at Bowling Green State University, where he provided visionary and strategic leadership for the development and delivery of programs and resources in the Career Center. While at Bowling Green State, Jackson’s key successes included:
- Developed the Falcon Internship Guarantee program to provide students the opportunity to participate in experiential learning activities and establish pathways to career goals.
- Oversaw a $2 million space renovation and reorganization of the Career Center, achieving recognition by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
- Through partnerships with faculty, embedded experiential learning courses and experiences into the curriculum of over 200 degree programs.
- Designed and implemented an Employer Advisory Board with more than 20 organizations across the country.
- Collaborated with campus partners to create a Deciding Student Program to meet the needs of students who had not decided on a major
- Oversaw the role of information technology and systems in the delivery of career services.
- Established programs to train faculty and advisors to recognize student concerns related to career direction, choice of major, and career development.
Prior to serving at Bowling Green State, Jackson served as the director of career services at Indiana University South Bend.
He is the recipient of awards for “Staff Member of the Year” at both Bowling Green State and Indiana.
Jackson worked at SLU previously as coordinator of the University’s Jumpstart Reading Program for pre-kindergarten and elementary school children in 2001.